Sunday, May 14, 2006

If you visit this blog 7 more times...

...I'll show you my tin soldier collection.

Welcome to 'Having an Average Weekend' - my video blog. I'll basically be posting videos on youtube and providing links through blogger. Yeah, I guess it's pretty pointless to have this blog then, but I figured I gotta enter the 'blog-o-sphere' somehow. Judging by the title of my blog (it's the name of the Kids' theme song), you're probably thinking that they'll mostly be KITH sketches. You're probably right.

Anyway, this sketch is from season 2. It's a Darrill sketch. Darrill is a 30ish mamma's boy played by Mark McKinney. He can't get any women and is stuck in a dead end waiter job and sometimes has his own painting show on public access. Let me tell you, there's a rumor floating around out there that Mark McKinney is the least funny of the Kids, but after watching this it should be clear as day that that's not true. Underrated is what I'd call it. Another bonus about this sketch - it's got Scott Thompson playing one his usual drooling, creepy old men.

If you want more of Darrill or creepy old men, let me know in the comments. Enjoy!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I wasn't alone in thinking that...

Not to say he's not funny, it's just the other guys seem so much funnier. like kevin macdonald's mother-figure cracked me up. however, i must say i like the darril character. is this the same guy who's in "the affair"?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Osman said...

yeah, that's him in that sketch. but in 'the affair', he's not quite as stupid as he usually is.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark McKinney plays some of the worst characters, including The Chicken Lady, easily the least funny thing to happen to Kids in the Hall. That's why people have that opinion of him.

He has a more accessible, lame style of comedy (which explains why he was invited to be a member of SNL), while the other actors are more unique.

-Aaron Surma

9:21 AM  
Blogger Osman said...

He's anything but lame. Bill Murray and Chris Farley were tons more accessible than he was, but they're probably funnier (though on different levels).
For whatever reason, his characters (head crusher, chicken lady, etc.) were the ones schmoes really liked. But you can't blame him for that.
Besides dude, he played Paul Schaefer in your beloved Norm Macdonald as Dave Letterman sketches on SNL.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will give you $10 if you can find a copy of that letterman sketch somewhere.

And...I can definitely blame him for the headcrusher and chicken lady. He didn't have to create/play those characters. He must have thought it was a good idea, when it is actually crap.

I'll give him credit, he does play a fine redneck.

-Aaron

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see more Darrill...

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A request: Episode 311 with Raj and Christine. My best friend and I are just like them!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A request: Episode 311 with Raj and Christine. My best friend and I are just like them!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, please post the "shirling" sketch. its my favorite and its really hard to find. you probably know the one, the sport they created with the spitting cobra, yes classic.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha!! is that same character from "sausages!" ?

i think they are all just as funny... and mark mckinney has badass redneck characters.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get how in the world anyone could say Mark McKinney is not funny. The great thing about Kith is they are all funny in different ways. Bruce is the least versatile as far as acting (all his characters are either Kathy or Gordon in different costumes) but his ideas are brilliant. (30-second stories, 30 Helens) etc. Mark is, I think, by far the most versatile and best at creating characters. And I guess I'm a schmoe, but head-crusher is my favorite.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home